- Created: 03 November 2015 03 November 2015
MONTE VISTA, Colo. – The San Luis Valley Interagency Fire Management Unit plans to conduct numerous pile burns in timber sale and thinning projects areas on the Rio Grande National Forest this winter. They include:
· Conejos Canyon thinning project along Hwy. 17 south of Horca.
· Elk Creek Ranch thinning project northwest of South Fork.
· Ptarmigan Meadows thinning project northwest of Spring Creek Reservoir.
· La Besouro Timber Sale near Bennet peak.
· Jasper Salvage Timber Sale near Blowout Pass.
· Last Chance Salvage Timber Sale southwest of Love Lake.
· Mater Salvage Timber Sale south of Pearl Lakes.
· Belle Salvage Timber Sale south of Pearl Lakes.
· Comstock Campground project.
· Bear Creek wildlife habitat project northeast of South Fork.
· Spring Creek Reservoir fence project west of Creede.
“Winter is an ideal time to dispose of piled slash generated by timber sales and thinning projects. We will burn these piles when there is adequate snow cover to limit fire spread around each individual pile” said Sid Hall, RGNF fuels specialist.
These pile burns will take several days to complete in each project area and smoke will be visible from roads in the area. Signs warning motorist of prescribed burning activity will be placed along roads near these project areas.
Prescribed fire smoke may affect your health. For more information see https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/wood-smoke-and-health.
For more information, contact the Rio Grande National Forest Supervisor’s Office at 719-852-5941.