- Created: 25 March 2016 25 March 2016
MONTE VISTA, Colo. - The Rio Grande National Forest is seeking nominees to fill vacancies on the Upper Rio Grande Resource Advisory Committee (RAC). The RAC supports the Rio Grande National Forest and participating counties by reviewing and recommending projects that benefit the national forest. Participating counties include Conejos, Saguache, Rio Grande, Mineral and Hinsdale. Projects are funded under Title II provisions of the Secure Rural Schools Act.
The RAC consists of 15 members representing a wide range of interests:
· Organized Labor or Non-Timber Forest Product Harvester Groups
· Developed Outdoor Recreation, Off-Highway Vehicle Users, or Commercial Recreation Activities
· Energy and Mineral Development, or Commercial or Recreational Fishing Groups
· Commercial Timber Industry
· Federal Grazing Permit, Other Land Use Permit Holders, or Non-Industrial Private Forest Land Owners within the area for which the committee is organized
· Nationally or Regionally Recognized Environmental Organizations
· Regionally or Locally Recognized Environmental Organizations
· Dispersed Recreational Activities
· Archaeology and History
· Nationally or Regionally Recognized Wild Horse and Burro Interests, Wildlife Hunting Organizations, or Watershed Associations
· Hold Local-, County- or State-Elected Office
· American Indian Tribes within or adjacent to the area for which the committee is organized
· Area School Officials or Teachers
· Affected Public at Large
RAC terms will be for four years. To be considered, a nominee must be a resident of Colorado, identify what interest group they represent and how they are qualified to represent that group. RAC nominations will be vetted and approved by the Secretary of Agriculture. Equal opportunity practices, in line with the USDA policies, will be followed in all appointments to the RACs.
RAC members generally meet no more than two to three times a year.