- Created: 05 October 2016 05 October 2016
Drivers advised to watch for log trucks on Rio Grande National Forest roads
MONTE VISTA, Colo. – Visitors to the Rio Grande National Forest should stay alert for log truck traffic on forest roads this autumn. Currently, there are seven active timber sales on the Forest with another seven scheduled to start up by the end of this month.
Forest roads that have, or will soon have, log truck traffic include:
· NFSR 514, 515, and 516 in the Black Mountain area near Brown, Hermit and Pearl Lakes.
· NFSR 345, the Del Norte Peak Road.
· NFSR 116,118, 118.1c near Trujillo Meadows Reservoir and Neff Mountain.
· NFSR 108 near Spruce Hole and La Manga Pass.
The speed limit on forest service roads is 20 miles per hour, unless posted otherwise. Drivers should always slow down and stay on the right side of the road when approaching and driving around corners. Additionally, drivers should look for wide spots on the road to pull off to allow log trucks to pass and should never stop in the middle of the road.