- Created: 13 November 2017 13 November 2017
MONTE VISTA, Colo., November 13, 2017 – The Rio Grande National Forest plans to burn numerous piles of woody debris in timber sale and thinning projects areas on the Rio Grande National Forest this winter. The burn areas include:
· Belle Timber Sale - 29 large machine piles, Upper Rio Grande west of Creede
· Mater Timber Sale – 53 large machine piles, Upper Rio Grande west of Creede
· Black Mesa Timber Sale - 500 large machine piles, Upper Rio Grande west of Creede
· Black Mountain Ranch – 75 hand piles, Upper Rio Grande west of Creede
· Wolf Beetle Timber Sale – 5 large machine piles, Cumbres Pass area
· Conejos Canyon WUI – 400 hand piles, Conejos Canyon below Horca
· Mallard/Teal Timber Sale – 12 large machine piles, west of Saguache near Cochetopa Pass
These burns will take several days to complete in each project area and smoke will be visible from roads in the area. Signs warning motorist of prescribed burning activity will be placed along roads near these project areas.
Prescribed fire smoke may affect your health. For more information see https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/wood-smoke-and-health.
For more information, contact the Rio Grande National Forest Supervisor’s Office at 719-852-5941.