- Created: 29 April 2014 29 April 2014
SOUTH FORK, COLORADO — Join us May 3rd from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the South Fork Visitor’s Center. Bring work gloves, rake, loppers, and shovels. Lunch and drinks will be provided.
· Learn how fire embers can cause your house to burn and how to protect your home
· Participate in a project that reduces wildfire risk at the Visitor’s Center
· Learn sandbagging techniques for post-fire flooding impacts
· Visit with the Fire Department, Red Cross, and County about disaster preparedness
This event sponsored by Rio Grande County, the Colorado State Forest Service, the South Fork Fire Protection District, American Red Cross, the Army Corps of Engineers, Office of Emergency Management, Colorado Division of Fire Protection and Control, FireWise and Fire Adapted Communities, and RWEACT (the Rio Grande Watershed Emergency Action Coordination Team).
RWEACT -- together with the Rio Grande National Forest -- brings together local, state and federal partners as a collective to address fire-caused natural hazards and impacts on human life, property, community economies, and the health of the Rio Grande Watershed following the West Fork and Papoose Fires.
- Created: 26 January 2014 26 January 2014
Volunteer on your public lands with VOC in 2014!
Join the VOC Volunteer Community and lend a hand!
VOC is celebrating our 30th anniversary this year and will be hosting more volunteer opportunities than ever in the San Luis Valley and Upper Rio Grande regions. Projects will begin in May, continue monthly through September and include:
- Trail Restoration in the West Fork Fire Complex Burn Area: June 21, 2014 - June 22, 2014
- Wheeler Geologic Area: September 9, 2014 - September 12, 2014
- Great Sand Dunes National Park: August 1, 2014 - August 3, 2014
- Trail construction of the new Stone Quarry Trail System: May 17, 2014 - May 18, 2014
Leadership Training opportunities through Outdoor Stewardship Institute
VOC offers a wide variety of leadership training opportunities through our Outdoor Stewardship Institute (OSI). OSI training courses are open to the public, and are great for VOC volunteers who want to take on volunteer leadership roles, and volunteers/staff from other agencies and organizations who want to develop technical and leadership skills. OSI will be offering several workshops in the Valley to help prepare for the upcoming field season.
- Crosscut Saw Workshop and Certification, Del Norte, May 2nd - 4th $35
- Elements of Trail Design and Rock skills training, Del Norte, May 9th - 11th, $75