The Board of Directors
Travis Smith, Former Superintendent for San Luis Valley Irrigation District & Former Board Member for Colorado Water Conservation Board
Susan Thompson, Hinsdale County
Karla Shriver, Rio Grande County Commissioner
Ramona Weber, Mineral County Commissioner
Emma Reesor, Rio Grande Headwaters Restoration Foundation
Jason Anderson, Saguache County Commissioner
Darius Allen, Alamosa County Commissioner
Kevin Terry, Trout Unlimited
Rio Grande National Forest Supervisor Dan Dallas participates with RWEACT as an ex-officio, non-voting member.
RWEACT brings together local, state and federal agencies, organizations, and individuals to develop an effective, coordinated approach for immediate actions addressing fire-caused hazards resulting in the protection of human life, property, and the natural health of the Rio Grande River watershed and its environment.
1. The Hydrology team is locating areas that are at the highest risk from post-fire flash flooding and working with local and state officials to put in place appropriate monitoring and warning systems.
2. The Communications committee is working to develop materials to communicate post-fire risks (flooding, debris, falling trees...) to the broader community, visitors, and people recreating in the forests.
3. The Natural Resources committee is working with the USFS Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) team to determine the severity of burned areas, prioritize need, develop restoration projects, and secure funding for project implementation.
4. The Emergency Management committee works to implement the Flood Plan Protocol for the three counties for the protection of life and safety.
5. The Economic Recovery committee is looking for short-term and long-term solutions to assist affected businesses in the region.